Temporary residence permit may be granted to a sole trader, i. e. natural person with trade license for the foreseen duration of business in maximum period of 3 years. Sole trader is with residency permission is entitled to study as well.
Where to apply for temporary residence permit for sole trader ?
- At the diplomatic mission of the SR accredited to the country of the applicant’s citizenship; or
- at diplomatic mission of the SR accredited to the country of the applicant’s residence;
- at the Foreign Police Department competent for the applicant’s place of the residence, if he resides in Slovakia based on a valid residence permit issued by Slovakia or another EU Member State, a granted tolerated residence, a granted national visa, if he/she does not need a visa to enter the Schengen Area, or if he holds a Certificate of a Slovak Living Abroad.
When submitting the application at the diplomatic mission, the applicant will be interviewed for the purpose of a preliminary assessment of the application.
How to apply for temporary residence permit for sole trader ?
The application must be submitted in person on the official form and in the Slovak language.
The application shall be accompanied with following documents:
1. Valid passport;
2. Two colour photographs (3 × 3.5 cm);
3. business plan for the implementation of an innovative project, or a document confirming the authorization to do business (if the applicant is registered within trade registry or other registry).
4. Police clearance certificate (Criminal record extract) with apostillefrom the country of the applicant’s citizenship and the countries where the applicant resided for more than 90 days during 6 consecutive months in the last 3 years;
5. Document proving accommodation in Slovakia for a minimum period of 6 months, or for the entire stay if applying for a temporary residence for a shorter time (e. g. notarized affidavit on the ownership of a property; or Notarized lease contract – signatures of both the lessor and the lessee must be notarized; or Notarized affidavit of the property owner on the provision of accommodation – signatures of all property owners must be notarized; Confirmation from an accommodation facility (hotel, dormitory) on the provision of accommodation.
6. Document proving financial coverage of residence in the amount of subsistence minimum for each month of residence (the subsistence minimum represents EUR 268,88/month); if the duration of residence exceeds 1 year, in the amount of 12-times the subsistence minimum (i.e. EUR 3.226,56- EUR); account balance confirmation in the name of the applicant from a bank in Slovakia, or by a bank account statement for the last three months in the case the applicant´s personal account is in a foreign bank;
7. Document proving financial coverage of business activity; it is documented by a business account balance confirmation from a bank in Slovakia, or by a bank account statement for the last three months in the case of having an account in a foreign bank: In the amount of 20-times the subsistence minimum (5.377,60- EUR);
8. Administrative fees in amount of EUR 232,- EUR (if submitting the application at the Foreign Police Department) or EUR 240 (if submitting the application at the diplomatic mission of the SR abroad);Administrative fee EUR 4.50 (for issuing a residence card).
Does application for residence permit for sole trader entitles me to stay in Slovakia ?
Submitting an application for a temporary residence does not entitle the applicant to reside in Slovakia. Until the temporary residence is granted, the applicant is entitled to stay in Slovakia only during the validity of a visa, another residence permit, or within the visa-free regime.
How old may be documents submitted with the application ?
The documents must not be older than 90 days at the time of submitting the application.
Should the document submitted with the application be notarized ?
All documents issued abroad must be officially authenticated (apostille/consular legalization) and translated to Slovak by a certified translator included in the List of Experts, Interpreters and Translators registered with the Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic
Signatures in affidavits, powers of attorney and lease contracts must be notarized. Copies of documents must be notarized.
How long takes the process until decision ?
The authorities will issue a decision within 90 days from the date of delivery of a complete application.
What are you duties after getting the temporary residence permit for sole trader ?
Sole trader shall enter Slovakia within 180 days from being granted residence permit.
He is obliged to report the beginning of his stay at the Foreign Police within 3 working days from entering Slovakia.
Sole trader shall sign up for health insurance within 3 working days from receiving the residence card and submit a document on health insurance to the Foreign Police within 30 days from receiving the residence card.
Sole trader shall submit a medical report not older than 30 days confirming that he does not suffer from a disease endangering public health to the Foreign Police within 30 days from receiving the residence card.
Should the residence permit stay valid, sole trader shall stay in the territory of Slovakia for more than half of the duration of the granted temporary residence in a calendar year.
Can a residence permit be prolonged or renewed?
Temporary residence permit may be renewed, even repeatedly. Temporary residence permit for the purpose of business may be renewed for a maximum period of 3 years. Application for a residence renewal must be submitted in person at the competent Foreign Police Department no later than on the last day of temporary residence validity. It is required that the applicant still performs business (that the purpose for which the temporary residence was granted still exists). The application for the renewal of a temporary residence must be accompanied by a valid travel document, otherwise, the police officer cannot accept the application. The temporary residence is considered legal (only) in the territory of Slovakia until the decision on its renewal. The application must be submitted together with:
1. Valid passport;
2. One colour photograph (3 × 3.5 cm);
3. Document on accommodation in Slovakia;
4. Document on health insurance;
5. Document on a taxed income of the sole trader for the previous fiscal year at least in the amount of 20-times the subsistence minimum, i. e. 5.377,60- EUR. If the applicant did not do business throughout the entire previous fiscal year, he must document a taxed income in the amount of 2-times the subsistence minimum, i. e. EUR 537,76- EUR for every month of residence in the previous fiscal year; If the applicant has not yet been authorized to do business in the previous fiscal year, he must submit a document on financial coverage of the business activities in the amount of 10-times the subsistence minimum, i. e. EUR 2.688,80- (proven by a bank account balance confirmation).
7. Administrative fee in amount of 132,50- EUR and 4,50- EUR for issuing the residence card.
The applicant for renewal shall not have any outstanding tax liabilities regarding tax authority, customs office, debts on health or social insurance. If the applicant is relieved from tax or insurance, he is obliged to submit proper confirmation proving this fact.
What can we do for you ?
- assistance and preparation of application for residence permit for sole trader
- preparation of business plan
- preparation of all necessary documents, consultancy and information
- personal representation in procedure and accompanying during interview at alien police
- assistance with translation of documents
- preparation of affidavits or lease contract for sole trader
Why use a lawyer ?
There are usual mistakes when submitting an application, namely incomplete documentation, faulty, incorrectly verified documents, officially incorrectly translated documents into Slovak language, communication with authorities, because of language barrier. We are ready to assist you and accompany you throughout the process until successful ending.
Do not hesitate to contact us via phone number +421 915 980 808 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article is no legal service. Each legal advice must be always considered legally and factually individually.