A national visa can be granted:
- in relation to granting of residence in Slovakia,
- to a foreigner older 15 years of age who is accepted for language education ata language school for minimum of 25 hours weekly,
- it is necessary for the fulfilment of the Slovak Republic’s obligations pursuant to the international treaties; or
- in the interest of the Slovak republic
How can I apply for national visa ?
Application for a national visa shall be submitted to the embassy. The application for a national visa in the interest of the Slovak Republic may be submitted also to the Foreigners’ Police department – an appointment is required to make an application to the police. The application shall be submitted including:
1. a valid travel document
2. a colour photograph (3 x 3.5 cm)
3. a document confirming the purpose of the stay (in the case of the national visa application submitted to be able to submit a residence application at the Foreigners’ Police, all documents necessary to obtain a residence permit must be submitted),
4. proof of health insurance.
The embassy or the Ministry of the Interior is entitled to call for further documents only if the documents submitted are insufficient to decide on the application for a national visa.
An administrative fee is payable for the submission of the application:
- EUR 60 – national visa for purporse of residence permit
- EUR 35 – national visa for the fulfilment of the Slovak Republic’s obligations under international treaties or if it is in the interest of the Slovak Republic
- EUR 10 – national visa granted in relation to an already granted residence permit
The application shall be handled within 30 days of its receipt.
The national visa entitles its holder to stay in Slovakia for the period for which it was issued. The holder of a valid national visa may travel to other Member States for up to three months within any 180-day period under the same conditions as the holder of a residence permit issued by one of the Member States of the Schengen area.
How long are the visa valid ?
The visa is usually granted for a stay of more than three months, up to a maximum of one year. For purporses of granting residence permit in Slovakia, the visa is issued for 90 days only and the visa for language education is issued for the duration of language training, maximum up to 31 July of the appropriate school year.
A national visa shall also be granted to a family member of an asylum-seeker or an alien with subsidiary protection, for the necessary period of time.
National visa in the interest of the Slovak Republic
National visa in the interest of the Slovak Republic can be granted to:
– university graduates and
– scholarship holders of selected scholarship programmes
– relocated third-country nationals and their family members.
A person who is granted a national visa in the interest of the Slovak Republic for the purpose of employment may work in Slovakia without the need for further permits. During the validity of the visa, the person may only work for the employer and in the employment for which the visa was granted (these details will be indicated on the visa), otherwise, the visa may be revoked.
Visa for graduates
Graduates can apply for a national visa if they finished
- the second level of university studies in Slovakia or the Czech Republic,
- higher education studies at a selected university or research institution, or
- the second or third level of university studies if they will be employed by an employer in the Slovak Republic in the selected occupations (the list is in Slovak only).
The national visa is granted to graduates for the following purposes:
- seeking employment – for a period of 90 days,
- employment – for the duration of the employment, for a maximum period of one year.
An applicant for a national visa who is a graduate of a Slovak, Czech school or other selected university or research institution must not have been granted temporary residence for the purpose of employment or study at the time of applying for the visa.
An applicant who is to be employed in selected occupations must not have been granted temporary residence for the purpose of employment at the time of applying for the visa.
The document confirming the purpose of stay is:
- university diploma or certificate of successful completion of university studies – if the graduate is applying for a visa for the purpose of seeking employment
- proof of education and a contract of employment or a written promise of employment from the employer, if the application is for a national visa for employment purposes.
Visa of scholarship holders
Foreign students, university teachers, researchers, artists and other university and R&D staff can apply for a national visa for a period of one year if coming to Slovakia with the support of a scholarship funded by one of the following programmes:
- National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic (NSP)
- programs implemented on the basis of bilateral international agreements and cooperation programmes
- Central European Exchange Programme for University Studies (CEEPUS)
- Government Scholarship of the Slovak Republic.
What can we do for you ?
- assistance and preparation of application for national visa and related documentation
- representation in process of getting the national visa granted
- assistance and preparation of application for residence permit
- assistance and preparation of application for work permit
- assistance and preparation of application for residence permit for business
This article is no legal service. Each legal must be always considered legally and factually individually. Do not hesitate to contact us via phone number +421 915 980 808 or e-mail: email@example.com.